Tuesday, March 13, 2007

GDC 2007 Summary

First of all, thanks to Jare because now i always remember the difference between Summary and Resume.

After this explanation, I will explain to you my feelings about the GDC 2007. That was my firt time I flew outside Europe, so for me this was the first novelty. I arrived to New York airport (where I had my first and last problem with someone), then I flew to San Francisco, and at night I arrived to Berkeley (completely destroyed). The first day I took a look to San Francisco, and was very funny because where the GDC was going to be the next day, there was a comic fans convention called Wonder Con.

The next day I went to GDC, and it was a day of tutorials. I took a look at Games Connection, where I found Victor from Games Gi, a new spanish company. Appart from this I have the chance to listen Jeff Minter (he is craziest than I thought), to talk a bit with Larry Holland, interview Heather Kelley and attend the conferences of Jhon Baez and Telltale Games.

The second day I interviewed Vander Caballero, Timo (From Yager development) and Patrick (From Cyanide). I have to say that first tuesday of the month the entrance to the museums of SF is free, so i entered at SFMOMA and at the Cartoon Museum. After that i was able to going to two partys, one very bluf (foundation 9) and other better (IGDA).

Third day was very crowded, as the fourth and fifht day. Phil Harrison, Shigeru Miyamoto, a lot of japanese developers, the expo, the game career, partys, video games live, interviews, awards (i saw Richard Garriot, and talk with him!)... i have to say that really you don't have a second of boredom.

Conclussions: Is really interesting for developers, but its expensive (although there are ways to make it cheaper), and far away from home (home = europe for me). Could be interesting to attend to leipzig this year.

Bye!.

1 comment:

Doug said...

You're absolutely right about the GDC fees being expensive. :( I was only able to go thanks to some grant money. There's no way I or my department would have been able to foot the bill.